Sunday 5 August 2012

Little Spot of Paradise

What puzzles me most about the world in which we live, is my inability to fathom its size. On some days, some of the most distant lands stand right before me, but on others, the vast variety of culture and diversity that rules what lives beyond the horizon is often unimaginable. Whilst it can take less than a day to set foot on a different land, it can take a lifetime to adjust or at least begin to understand the ways in which all 7 billion human beings live. What I find most interesting about the world - and what makes me so passionate - is the thought that there are people, sprawled out on every speck of green on that atlas. There are people, like you and I, living their everyday lives, everyday - oddly enough. In the future, I want to visit foreign lands and experience their culture, live how they live on a daily basis and see the world entirely through their perspective. Which brings me to my very first recreational blog post. 

My mother and father were/are avid travellers. That brings with it a major disadvantage and a major advantage. The disadvantage being that they saw the world without me. Well, technically I can say I've been to Spain, trekked the treacherous climb to the unbelievable Machu Picchu and sailed across the Indian Ocean, however the view was slightly disrupted in my mother's womb. Fortunately for me, I'm afraid that without their passion, memories, experiences and knowledge of the great world that exists outside of my little bedroom window, my passion for the world and its people may not exist. So for that, I cannot thank them enough. In my limited years of existence, I was fortunate to move from New Zealand to Australia, and then venture over to the United States (two years ago) where we drove from West to East (and back again). The very belated international family holiday was due to my parents strong belief that you have to see your own country before you see the rest. Thus, we travelled around both islands of New Zealand and found ourselves in the middle of the Australian Outback. 

Before I spin the globe and hope my finger lands on a speck of green, I figured I best start off with the area in which I currently live, Redcliffe. It's nothing special, just a little coastal town north of Brisbane. Of course, unlike the historic city of Rome, the romantic City of Lights or the Big Apple, falling in love with Redcliffe does not come instantly, but that is not to say there isn't a certain charm about it. Only last week I drove to the waterfront and happened to catch it at its finest - the sunset provided a picturesque transformation, igniting the once subtle and bland pier into an exquisite banquet of lines and colour - an artistic feast. 


- Shorncliffe Pier

It was from that moment, I realised that beauty is what you make it. Anything can be beautiful, it just takes one to open their eyes and truly appreciate it for what it is. Thus, I am more excited than ever to unleash myself into this exciting world. When I was at the pier, I also realised what an effect natural lighting has. It completely transforms a scene - for the better. 

So ladies and gentlemen, I present you with Shorncliffe pier. An astounding, quiet little spot off the eastern coast of Queensland. Perfect for long walks on the beach and romantic picnics. Actually, if there are any single males, please, don't hesitate to take me out for a lovely stroll one glorious evening. 

Unfortunately I have to run to my next lecture. Which is not actually at all unfortunate as a) it is for this subject, and b) I actually really enjoy it. So really, I lied. 

Until next time, 

Holly.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Holly! I was just having a casual stalk of some of the JOUR1111 blogs, and am so happy to have stumbled upon yours! I too am a travel addict/aspiring travel writer and can completely relate to your passion for wanting to see the world. ONE DAY WE'LL DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much, that means a lot! Ahh it's seriously all I ever want to do with my life haha I am so so glad there are like minded people! ONE DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete