Sunday 19 August 2012

Trapped

Brisbane City - Views from Mount Coot-tha

It's hard to imagine a life better than the one I currently live - I say as Pink Floyd drowns out the crying baby, the abusive parents and fighting couples on board the Petrie Express. 

As I try to see past the graffiti that distorts the scenery outside of the train window - and beyond the dull yet chaotic carriage - I try to picture myself in a far away land. In fact, I can sometimes do this thing where I can take myself out of reality and replace my surroundings with a view and atmosphere I can only dream of. For example, there is this cafe I like to occassionally visit on the Redcliffe waterfront, whereby one particular table offers me an exquisite view. If I put my headphones in and crank some spanish guitar, I can almost convince myself that I'm on holiday. It's great - while it lasts.

Today however - with 'Is There Anybody Out There?' sending me into an almost hypnotic trance - I am transported to the Tuscan Countryside. The rolling hills pass by, the greens, the golds, the beauty - but only in a matter of seconds does the song change and I hear Bob Dylan's soothing voice. I am then passing grandiose country mansions in the Southern United States. I'm taken back to the days of Atticus Finch and Cat On A Hot Tin Roof. 

Oh the places i'd rather be. 

Unfortunately, as a broke uni student, these dreams are dreams - at least for the next four years. Such a depressing thought. 

There was no real point to this post. I guess I just wanted to remind myself that I have such a bland life in Brisbane and I cannot wait to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment