Thursday 30 August 2012

Light in the Darkest of Places


As assessment for a Visual Communication subject, I thought it would be interesting to base my next piece of work around something I would really struggle to capture. 

The Light in the Darkest of Places

By this, I wanted to go to a place, viscously infected with dilapidated houses, graffiti, drugs, poverty, crime and everything and anything not pleasing to the eye - or to the average Australian - and somewhere - anywhere, find something beautiful. 

Graffiti Wall
Skate Park Half Pipe
Sunrise, Deception Bay

All of the photos were captured in Deception Bay, North Brisbane. 

On my previous visits to this area, I have judged it entirely and seen the entirety of the area in a bad light. Never before had I driven around trying to see beautiful things, however, I took so many more photos, and there were so many more beautiful things, all completely surrounded by the disregarded and disrespected.

In my opinion, the location is incredible. I got to the bay at 5:30am to watch the sun rise so magically over the water. Throughout the day, those with a view of the sea, are so very fortunate. And in all honesty, half of the houses in the area don't live up to the bad reputation - they just need a little love and care. 

I think - in a way - this topic made me appreciate what I have, but at the same time, allowed me to see the truth behind this ruthlessly insulted and judged area. It's not that bad. Not that bad at all. 

If you take away the gangs, violence, drugs, crime - people, really…

But still. 
There is potential.
You never know, in 100 years it could be a completely different area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment